Friday, August 27, 2010

Fake Trades with the Nuggets

A while back Andres wrote a post on his blog detailing some trades he'd like to see the Nuggets make as they deal with the Carmelo Anthony situation. One of his scenarios involved the Raptors:

Trade to Toronto for Jose Calderon and Amir Johnson
  • Jose Calderon (0.141 WP48 0.111 WS48 16.5 PER 0.111)
  • Amir Johnson (0.168 WP48 0.150 WS48 16.7 PER)
On talk radio the other night I heard a suggestion was to re-sign Melo and send him to Toronto as punishment for torturing us. I love it, so why not start it this season? The issue is we’d have to wait until December 15th for Amir’s contract to be tradeable. It is doubtful Melo would want to resign in Toronto. It’s also unlikely Toronto wants another star that’s going to leave. Also odds are Calderon will be gone by then. All that said, this would be my favorite trade to take place (with apologies to Devin)

I think it goes without saying that I didn't like this scenario. In response, I'm going to come up with some more palatable options for the Raptors:

  1. Nuggets send Carmelo Anthony to the Raptors for Marcus Banks, Reggie Evans, and Andrea Bargnani
  2. Nuggets send Anthony, Ty Lawson, and Renaldo Balkman to the Raptors for Banks, Evans, Bargnani, and DeRozan
  3. Nuggets send Anthony, Lawson, Balkman, and Nene to the Raptors for Banks, Evans, Bargnani, DeRozan, and Calderon
  4. Nuggets send Anthony, Lawson, Balkman, Chris Andersen, and J.R. Smith to the Raptors for Banks, Evans, Bargnani, DeRozan, and Calderon
Let me stress that none of these trade are rumoured or likely to happen - they are simply wishful thinking on my part. And in two months, when my wishful thinking can start to include Barbosa and David Andersen, there will be more fantasy options available.

 - Devin.

4 comments:

  1. Devin,
    Got greedy going for Lawson and Nene. Here's a scary thought. You could potentially grab Balkman, Anderson if you were willing to pick up Smith.

    All of these trades do the best part, they get rid of Bargnani. Trade 2 was interesting because it would be great for the Raptors but Hollinger thinks it would lose them 1 win.

    If the Nuggets front office happens to like Bargnani and Derozen its entirely possible you could get some of our cheaper better picks. I doubt Melo is in the cards, but I don't think these trades are that far fetched (frighteningly!)

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why would the Nuggest make ANY of your proposed trades? They would gain nothing except 2 small expiring contracts, Bargs who hasnt proven anything and a young unproven wing in DD. It makes NO sense to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous:

    I love people who read things thoroughly. This is make believe, pie-in-the-sky thinking, completely in response to a trade Andres proposed that I didn't like from a Raptors perspective. The whole point of the exercise was to make the most one-sided trades possible (in favour of the Raptors). I thought that was obvious, but apparently I overestimated the intelligence of people who leave anonymous comments.

    Thank you for reading part of my post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andres,

    At first I wanted no part of Smith, but then realized his contract wasn't that bad, was expiring, and I remembered that the Nuggets wanted to get rid of him anyways.

    Maybe I'll come up with some more realistic trades the Raptors might do with the Nuggets. "Fake Trades with the Nuggets II: Realistic Edition". I bet Balkman and Andersen wouldn't be too hard to get...the only problem is that I have no idea how most of the Raptors players are perceived around the rest of the league. I'm so used to trashing Bargnani that I have no idea how many people are fooled by his per game statistics.

    ReplyDelete